Monday, September 19, 2011

Let Your Light Shine

Honestly, I am not that familiar with lighting. I just know what I think looks good. I am definitely a fan of black and white images, because its something about them that speaks volumes without being loud. In some sense I think that color adds sound to an image, and by taking that sound away you have to be able to tell your story without it being heard. I think that's what black and white images do, and lighting plays a pivotal part in making that story told successfully.






I’m not really a history buff, and I know very little about paintings and art work, but when I was a sophomore at Savannah State University I took a Humanities course where we studied art work, natural earth formations, pyramids, structures, etc… But one painting in particular that I probably will never forget is The Crucifixion of Saint Peter by Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio. I love this piece because the only face you can really see is Peter’s, but you can see the shame and quilt of the persecutors by their body language. When everything seems dark in Peter’s life, it’s like God shines a light on him. I love this painting. The lighting is impeccable!


The lighting in Beyonce's album art work is usually phenomenal!
Beautiful lighting!!!
This is an alter-ego photo done be Derrick Blanks (I would have put his whole gallery up here if I could have), that man is amazing. He is powerful and very purposful  with his lighting selection. This is pretty cool and amazing to me

No comments:

Post a Comment