Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Reflections

I have learned a lot in a little bit of time. The most salient lessons that stand out to me have been the ones on lighting and learning the TCF jargon. It’s a lot of abbreviations, changed names and nicknames used for equipment that I am learning. It’s a lot of technical jargon that I probably should be more excited to know about, but not necessarily interested in, that I have found helpful. Coming from a television production background I have found that terms are used interchangeably. For instance, in t.v. production the director might want a bust-shot, but in film production the director would want a mid-shot. It’s the same shot, just with two different names. A lot of the stuff I'm learning about lights is new, or it’s been so long since I worked with them or learned about them that it feels new. Learning to use light to create emotion and knowing when to use a key light or a fill light is interesting to me. I only remember learning about key lights in the past.

I think I have strength in shot composition and framing. I think that I adapt well to change, which is beneficial in working in such fast paced environments. Being able to work well with others, and independently is also one of my strengths. 

The most challenging thing has been keeping up with the technical jargon and professional language because sometimes I get confused, but I think I'm getting better. It also helps knowing that I'm not the only confused student in the bunch. I also find it challenging to plan a project out shot by shot. I don’t usually think sequentially. My brain is kind of all over the place, and that's usually how I form ideas. I really have to work on narrowing down my concepts, and developing them enough to make sense to others, because I know what I want and sometimes I just expect others to 'get it'.

By far the most rewarding thing about videography is seeing your vision come to life, which enables you to share with the masses. Doing the portrait of a place assignment brought me much gratification because it was a project that I cared about. It was special to me and it was a small piece of history that meant a lot to my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment