Monday, December 12, 2011

Final Course Reflection

I can honestly say that I learned a lot in the class. I learned what a DSLR camera is and what the difference is between single lens recorders and other camcorders.  I learned how and when to use nets, flags, and screens. I learned how to adjust lighting in order to show or eliminate shadows in the background. I learned how to create warm lighting, cool lighting, and even how to light dark scenes. I learned that if something can go wrong, it will go wrong and you have to be able to adapt quickly.

I learned that two heads are better than one, and that you have to be able to trust your production crew. I learned a great deal about the different cameras we have in the department, and which one will work best for specific environments. I was able to acquire more tech knowledge than I thought I would. I don’t think I am very tech savvy as far as cameras and equipment go, but I learned a lot about them. I was able to work with and develop a fond love for the Cannon T2i. I worked with the 5D before enrolling in the class and I liked it, but I think I like the T2i more. I used the T2i with the Zeiss primes when I was the director of photography for a scene assignment, and I adored the image quality.  I learned that prime lenses are a gift from God, and after working with them, you never want to be without them. They are like Visa, don’t leave the equipment room without one. J

Taking this class confirmed my interest in documentaries. Narrative films aren’t my thing. I enjoy watching them, and even shooting them, but it’s certainly not my area of interest right now. One day I would love to be the producer of a situation comedy, or even a drama, but my first love is documentary. I learned that you can never have enough pre-production. Develop a plan A,B,C, and D if need be. You can never be too prepared in this field. I learned that not-knowing is alright sometimes, and that sometimes you have to learn by trial and error. I learned that it takes practice. Working with a camera a couple of times will not make you a master of it. You have to keep practicing and messing around with different equipment in order to ‘get it’. I also learned that no one is good at everything, and that’s okay. Finding your niche- your piece to this production puzzle is what it’s all about. I understand that I am not where I could be, but I am certainly far from where I came. I have to keep working at it. Progress is key.



No comments:

Post a Comment