Thursday, December 1, 2011

What makes it good?

Showing what you do best as an artist makes a good reel. Forget about the big time money shots that you think will awe an audience. Put the shots you love and those that represent you the best in your reel. Do not get me wrong, money shots are great, but a reel full of money shots could be a bit too much, or maybe even a bit boring. I want to see the artist represented in their reel. I think the reel below is fantastic because its shows the cinematographers wide range of skills. He has documentary, commercial, and narrative shots in it, and it is edited together well so that we understand each genre and don't feel overwhelmed. I would hire this guy because his work looks great, and because I see simplicity and consistency in his work.

    
Cinematography Reel from Travis Wears on Vimeo.

Here is another reel that I like. I would probably hire this guy for action shots. I enjoyed the fast-paceness of his reel.

Cinematography Reel - 2010 from Garrett O'Brien on Vimeo.

H

No comments:

Post a Comment